Knowledge is good only if it is shared. As a mom of four, I have learned to take it day by day working from home, homeschooling 2 children (4,5 yr old), and taking care of 2 little ones (9 months, that I nurse and a 2 yr old that yells very loud!).

It's not easy and yes, there are days when we don't do anything but eat ice cream and watch t.v., but that's the beauty of being able to do it all from home and so we find that motivation again and keep on working for the future.

So here you will find very creative and easy ideas to keep infant and toddlers busy . What it's like to home school kids, and finally support for those who want to earn a living at home. So Enjoy and do me a favor and ask a question if you have one, I would love to help anyone who is in need.

Quick Search for Toddler Ideas, Baby Games, Homeschooling info, and Cooking

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

SHIVER- Word of the Day- 4-5 yr old- Week 2

Today's word is SHIVER  (by the way, if this is the first time that you read my word of the day post, text that is in bold is what I say to the kids, so you have an idea of what to say.)

My props were: Each other!
This one was a little difficult to explain to my 4 yr. old, but we got through it. Smile

Mandis stopped by here and there throughout our lesson.
 
Print this out first... VOCAB PAPER  (I am working on trying to get these on video so you can see how I explain and how the kids really enjoy the words.)
START-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I started by explaining what SHIVER means right off the back because it would be hard for the kids to distinguish cold and shaking.  They would automatically think it meant cold. Which yes it means your cold but it also can be used when you are scared.  Does anyone know how to pronounce this one? S-H makes a SHhhhhhh sound.  E-R go together to make an ER sound.  Ready?  Spell it out.  S-H, SH-I-V-E-R, ER  SHI-VER  SHIVER. Good!
Go ahead and write your new word into you dictionary. My Dictionary Booklet
Q.  So what do you think SHIVER means? (Point at your ) Wait to see what they say  and write it on their booklet for them, if they don’t know how to write yet.. Ok here is what it means:

DEF:  SHIVER is shaking when you are cold or afraid.
So let me see how you shiver.  This is about the time I wish I had a video camera to show you how goofy they get with this exercise. Smile
Ok let me give you a sentence for this word.
I SHIVER when I get out of the shower because of the cold air.
What do you normally see on your skin when you shiver? Elijah: OOOOH, OOOOh bumps on your skin!
Ok, what I want you to do is SHIVER when I say a sentence and you think it will make you SHIVER. Ready?
Q.
Uncovering yourself in a cold night. (Shiver)
Making warm bread.
Hearing the house creek on a windy night. (Shiver)
Jumping into a cold pool. (Shiver)
Watching a movie on Saturday night.
What do your teeth do when you shiver?
Great job!!  Now draw me a picture of shivering. 
 THE END------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The drawing gave it a nice end to the lesson. I love seeing them get excited to learn! It makes my job even more enjoyable.
Hope you liked this one... let me know what you guys did with this word?

link

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...